The new building was officially opened in 1901 by Princess
Louise, Duchess of Fife. To celebrate the opening, another
International Exhibition was held in Kelvingrove Park. This exhibition
involved the construction of huge temporary buildings. An ornate
Industrial Hall and Concert Hall were built in Kelvingrove Park,
and an equally splendid Machinery Hall was built on the site of
what is now the Kelvin Hall.
The 1901 Exhibition was a great success, and when it closed many
of its exhibits were transferred to the new Art Gallery and Museum,
along with the art collection from the McLellan Galleries and
the scientific collection from Kelvingrove House. This combined
collection was now the city's largest. The new Art Gallery and
Museum was finally opened to the public in 1902.
from the first floor balcony.