The Museum's second-largest individual collection was bequeathed
by Charles Edward Whitelaw (1869-1939). He
was an architect who was interested in history, archaeology, and
in particular Scottish weapons. He became an authority on Scottish
weapons, publishing many important papers and arranging the Arms
and Weapons section of the 1911 Historical Exhibition in Glasgow.
The Museum purchased a collection of 115 firearms from Alexander
E. Martin in 1956. Martin's family business made guns and
fishing tackle in Glasgow, and Martin himself was a prominent
A collection of 205 European edged weapons was purchased from
Charles C.S. Parsons of Greenock in 1911.
broadswords, dirks and targes.